Rehab Techniques in Oncology
In Canada, people with a diagnosis of cancer are surviving longer. With this increased survival comes many different types of disability associated with cancer and its treatments. This is where the gap is in our healthcare system. We need more qualified health care providers that are trained to help people with cancer return to normal activities of daily living and occupations.
As health care professionals, we are going to work with clients with a diagnosis of cancer in gyms, outpatient clinics, private clinics and in their homes. We are just going to see more people that have been touched by cancer. We need to know what we are doing and be confident in our skills.
We also need to help thousands and thousands of people across Canada that are surviving cancer but living with dysfunction and disability. In fact, I would be so bold to say that cancer rehabilitation needs to be a standard of practice in the treatment of people with cancer in Canada.
Don’t waste time! Get trained and get started working with this amazing bunch of people!
To provide the knowledge and skills required for a health professional to work with a client who has had a diagnosis of cancer.
What You Will Learn:
- The most relevant cancers and their medical treatments
- Appropriate exercise techniques and safety considerations
- The scope of practice a health professional works within and when to refer a client to a medical professional
- How to administer an oncology assessment
- How to design an individualized fitness plan for your client’s abilities and goals
What is Included:
- Course participants will be provided with courseware including: an oncology assessment, outcome measures, exercise log and workbook.
- Access to an exclusive private forum with Jodi. Ask Jodi and other course participants your questions.
- Indefinite access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content
- Certification of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content, such as the workbook can be downloaded, the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- Quizzes throughout to help you integrate the knowledge.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants (such as The Allied Health Professional Development Fund) and for tax purposes.
- Bite-sized information: all of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- A Special Coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
To learn more about this course, watch Jodi's short intro video in the Course Materials section of this course.
Jodi Steele, BKin, RPT
Jodi earned her kinesiology degree in 1997 and a physiotherapy degree in 1999 from McMaster University. Upon graduation she co-developed an oncology rehabilitation program, Cancer Rehab-The Next Step. In 2005 her husband joined her and founded Cancer Rehab Inc., Canada’s first not-for-profit cancer rehabilitation centre.
In 2009, Jodi designed, developed and launched Wellspring’s Cancer Exercise Program, which continues to be delivered at sites throughout southern Ontario. For her innovative contributions to society, Jodi received the 2009 Arch Award from McMaster University.
Presently Jodi is a professor at Niagara College. She continues to educate peers through educational lectures focusing on cancer exercise and rehabilitation for health care professionals and lymphedema management in the home care setting.
|Instructor Name||Jodi Steele|
|Access Duration||Indefinite access after purchase|