An Impairment Based Approach to Concussion Assessment and Rehab
About The Course
As movement professionals - Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Athletic Therapists, chiropractors, kinesiologists, and massage therapists - we use an impairment model when working with clients. We do an assessment to identify impairments in structure or function, and then we devise treatments to address those impairments.
In school and in clinical practice, we have lots of experience with using this impairment-based model for musculoskeletal diagnoses. We assess for a range of motion, or strength, or any other relevant MSK impairments.
It's no different when the diagnosis is neurological, except that we're often less familiar with the possible impairments we should screen for or assess, like vestibulo-ocular function or exertion tolerance. We also need to add some tools to our clinical toolbox to treat these neuron-specific impairments.
That's what this course does - you'll learn an assessment framework to look for impairments specific to concussion diagnoses, and build clinical tools to manage these impairments in your clients. Regardless of your familiarity with treating concussion, having a framework for assessment and treatment will make clinical reasoning easier, allow you to progress treatment more efficiently, and lead to better outcomes for your patients or clients.
This Online Healthcare Course Will Provide You With:
- An understanding of the biomechanics of concussion, and relevant anatomy and physiology
- The ability to effectively take a concussion-focused patient history
- An assessment template to find the sources or drivers for patients' symptoms after a concussion - based on current evidence and best practices
- Programming strategies for patients with acute or chronic concussion symptoms.
- Confidence to teach your patients about their injury, and what they can do to optimize their recovery
- Tools to determine when rest is helpful, and when it might be harmful
- Information to bust some common concussion myths
Who Is This Online Course For?
This course is designed for movement professionals - Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Athletic Therapists, chiropractors, kinesiologists, and massage therapists.
This course is for you if you've never treated a concussion before; it's a great way to get started. It's also good if you have experience but want to learn strategies for clinical reasoning, problem-solving, or treatment.
What's Included In This Online Healthcare Course?
- More than 3 hours of video lessons.
- Bite-sized information: all of the content is broken down into bite-sized chunks, so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch, or for a few minutes at night.
- Lifetime access. You can return to this course at any time. If any material is updated or added, you will have access to the new content.
- Certificate of completion. Once you've completed the course, you will receive a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Downloadable resources so you can follow along as you take the course.
- Access to this course is through Embodia, and although some of the content may be downloadable (such as a workbook or slides if included), the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the Internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed by phone, tablet, and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants and for tax purposes.
- A Special Coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
Can I Share a Course with a Friend or Colleague? How does the Group Discount Work?
Each course purchase is for a single viewer only, and may not be shared. If you are interested in group/staff viewing, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a group discount code specifically for your group. The larger the group, the larger the discount. Each individual must purchase separately with the discount code, and agree to the terms and conditions (legal). This provides each participant with their own copy to review at their pace, in addition to the opportunity to interact with colleagues as you all work collectively through the material.
"Loved how you incorporated research into the course: what we know, what we don't know, what's current and trending."
"Great course! Assessment and treatment skills can be used in the clinic right away, but also require practice and review to become comfortable. Sparked interest to take additional courses in vestibular rehab."
"Good coverage of things to consider/ assess and areas to prioritize and focus treatment. It was great that [the course] was broken down into segments and kept track of my learning. Plus [I could] keep notes with each relevant section."
What other questions do you have? Email me - I'm happy to answer!
PT, BSc, MSc(PT), PhD(Neuroscience)
Meaghan earned her physiotherapy degree from Queen’s University, and completed Fowler-Kennedy’s Sport Physiotherapy Fellowship before earning a Certificate in Sport Physiotherapy from Sport Physiotherapy Canada. She also holds a Certificate in Vestibular Rehabilitation from Emory University. Meaghan completed her PhD in neuroscience at the University of Waterloo, studying how concussions affect brain function and sensory integration, and is currently a post-doctoral fellow at Toronto Rehab and York University studying the integration of cognition, motor function, and sensory inputs in adults with prolonged concussion symptoms using virtual reality and tablet-based computing.
Meaghan serves as the vice-chair of the Neurosciences Division of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association, and is an Assistant Clinical Professor (Adjunct) at McMaster University’s School of Rehabilitation Science.
Course Material included in this course
Welcome and Slides for the Course
Concussion Assessment Basics
Cervical Spine Assessment
Visual & Vestibular Function
Exertion & Exercise Tolerance
Management & Treatment
Basics of Concussion Management
Concussion Rehab Planning
Cervical Spine Treatment
Exertion Training & Return to Sport