An Introduction to Nutrition for Rehab Professionals
At the conclusion of the course, you will be able to:
- Articulate current statistics regarding chronic diseases
- Describe how diet can function as preventing many chronic diseases
- Explain how and why guidelines may fall short in helping prevent chronic diseases
- Outline several nutritional means for treating or preventing disease within these systems or areas of practice: cardiovascular, oncology, orthopaedics, metabolic, neurologic, sports, pediatric, and geriatric.
- Describe the putative health-improving mechanisms behind a predominately whole-food, plant-based diet
- Explain the risks of standard American or Western diet
- Provide simple steps to helping a client make changes in their diet to improve their health, rehabilitation outcome, or condition
DPT, PT, OCS, ATC/L, CSCS, NSCA-CPT, Cert-DN
Dr. Sean M. Wells is a member of the American Physical Therapy Association, National Athletic Trainers’ Association, and The National Strength and Conditioning Association. Dr. Wells has taught wellness, nutrition, athletic training, and exercise physiology at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU). He is current owner of Wells Physical Therapy, a concierge physical therapy and training service serving Ponte Vedra, St Augustine, Naples, and Bonita Springs, FL.
His research interest includes lower back pain, nutrition and healing, and aging mechanisms/models. Sean has been published in the area of orthopedics, aging and nutrition, and fitness. He has helped to author and publish three international peer-reviewed journal articles on nutrition and aging mechanisms. He has published one book on the dangers of CrossFit and is currently working on his 2nd book, Nutritional Physical Therapy. He is second author on Wellness and Physical Therapy 2nd Edition, with contributions for nutrition, community wellness and dry needling. He was contributing author to the fitness section of a South Florida magazine for 3 years, and has been featured in Redbook, Muscle and Fitness Magazine, and Eat This Not That blog. Sean provides an array of services from concierge physical therapy, to post-rehab programs, to personal training, with an overarching emphasis on orthopedics, geriatric health, and fitness.
Course Material included in this course
Welcome and Slides
Old Paradigms, New Evidence
Pediatrics and Conclusion